[ Back to Crated ]

Pricing your art

Follow

Although pricing your art is very subjective, we've made this guide to help get you started.

First, here is how our profit sharing works:

With Crated you get to set your markup. When you list a work we have a base price for each size and option, then you choose the amount (%) of markup that you prefer, this is the amount that determines your payment from each sale. 

Crated runs on an 80/20 split of the profits with the artist. We produce the art at wholesale cost which is the base price of the item. You set the markup from that base price on each piece. When an item sells you (the artist) are paid 80% of that amount while Crated gets the remaining 20%.

Deciding on a markup:

Pricing your work is entirely up to you and can be done on a per-image basis. However, it goes without saying that lower prices generate more sales. Finding a balance between an affordable cost for the buyer and and a fair profit for you is key.

A couple things to consider are:

  • How much time and effort went into making the image/art?
  • Is the art exclusively sold on Crated?

If you have the art listed elsewhere, make sure that the price on Crated is comparable to its price on other platforms.

If you find that your art is getting a lot of comments, share, collects etc. but sales are still low, it's a good indication that your markup is too high and you should try lowering it slightly and seeing if it results in more sales. 

Although you can change your markup at any point and as much as you want, try to keep your markup stable for the most part. This is so prospective buyers and previous customers see consistent prices should they return to your gallery.

Setting and changing markup on an item:

To change the markup on any item, click on the thumbnail tile of the desired art piece under the 'Art' tab in your dashboard.

Then in the item edit view, click on the blue text 'Change products and pricing for this piece'. A menu will drop down that allow you to set markup based on each product and add/remove products offered for that piece. 

OR use the global pricing adjustment tool in your seller dashboard. If you would like to apply this markup all previously uploaded pieces as well make sure you select Update all existing art.

 

Have more questions? Submit a request

Comments

  • Avatar
    Lisa Tanner Photography

    Still having a hard time wrapping my head around this, can you give me an example based on the retail price of a canvas selling for $100?

  • Avatar
    Marianne Campolongo

    In order to keep prices consistent with prior sales and other outlets, we need to know the actual size of the printed piece.
    Also, please advise whether posters are actually poster quality or whether they are in fact actually prints on photo paper. This makes a big difference in pricing.

  • Avatar
    Crated Support

    The size of the printed area is listed in the 'size' drop down (small, medium, large, extra large) frames on framed prints add 2 inches height and 2 inches width, matts add 5 inches height and 5 inches to the total.

    Poster or paper prints are on the same stock as framed prints to high quality archival paper.

  • Avatar
    Foténzo

    @Lisa Tanner I think it works a bit like this (and correct me if I'm wrong).
    The cost for manufacturing let's say a canvas, is $ 100.00. You, the artist would like to have a markup of 30%, which is the default for any piece you try to sell. That makes a total of $ 130.00, including your markup. From that $ 30.00 of profit, Crated takes 20%, which translates to $ 6.00. You get the remaining 80%, which of course is $ 24.00.
    Anyway, that's how I read the article ;)

    Edwin van der Veer (Foténzo)

  • Avatar
    Soren Hedberg

    I'm having some issues calculating my pricing. Is the price I see when I am logged in and looking at one of my photos the price I'D pay for it, or the price a customer would see?

    I normally charge $300 for a 16" x 24" framed canvas print, but at 300% markup it's only showing a price of $221. I'd like to keep my pricing consistent in person and online.

  • Avatar
    Nellis Eketorp (Kinga K. de Jongh)

    I do not understand this. Example, please?

  • Avatar
    ATMAN Gallery

    Nellis,

    It is actually quite simple. When you load images to your gallery, there will be an option at the bottom of the image you are adding description/content to that states "Set your products and pricing for this piece". This is where you add your markup. A good place to start is around 150% for all categories. Once the image has been saved with information and markup, go to your gallery and check the prices. If you want to adjust the price, you will have to go to the dashboard and change your markup higher or lower. You can apply the markup, globally, that is to all of your posters, canvas prints and framed prints. I had to play around a little by going back and forth from my gallery to the pricing.
    I hope this helps. 300% is the maximum markup, so for artists that would like to sell their art for a higher price, then maybe crated is not the solution for them. I still do produce my Limited Edition prints and sell them independently.
    Regards to all, and much success on today's launch of crated!!

  • Avatar
    Soren Hedberg

    One more question: Are the prices in CDN or US dollars?

  • Avatar
    davinstudios

    I'm not understanding how your pricing works. Please give a detailed example of an actual sale including base price to manufacture the art, artist markup, amount Crated would receive and amount artist would receive. This would help explain things. Thank you.

  • Avatar
    Steve Clost

    Hey davin,

    Foténzo above was correct in his example: 'The cost for manufacturing let's say a canvas, is $ 100.00. You, the artist would like to have a markup of 30%, which is the default for any piece you try to sell. That makes a total of $ 130.00, including your markup. From that $ 30.00 of profit, Crated takes 20%, which translates to $ 6.00. You get the remaining 80%, which of course is $ 24.00.'

    Soren if you're looking at the site in the U.S. it will be in USD.

    I hope this clears things up for both of you!

  • Avatar
    Joan Carroll

    It would be helpful if we knew the base price (manufacturing price) first, otherwise we are just shooting in the dark trying to guess at a markup! i.e., 30% markup of what base price?! We have no idea how much we are marking up when we say 30% or whatever percentage unless we know the base price.

Powered by Zendesk